Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Mini Gastronomic Guide to São Paulo

 During my most recent trip to Brazil, I dedicated my stay in São Paulo to seeing dear friends while eating great food. In a city the size of São Paulo there are thousands of restaurant options, but is always good to have the insight of the locals.
I hope this mini guide will be useful not just to those who are visiting São Paulo, but also to those who live there and would like to try out a new place.

My first day in SP was very inspiring; I spent it with my friend Xênia, a talented singer and song writer to the Brazilian band Aláfia.  After catching up for a couple of hours, we went out for lunch with another great friend of ours, Samira (about whom I previously wrote a post - click here to see it) and by Julio, Xênia's roommate who is also a musician.

The place of choice was Mercearia (Rua Rodésia, 34) at the Vila Madalena neighborhood. Mercearia is a traditional bar and restaurant in the neighborhood and the hot spot to many Brazilian artists. The main dishes are à la carte, they change according to the week days and come with all you can eat buffet. A simple menu and hype crowd make this a fun place to be.





We had dessert and coffee at the place next door, Café Vintage (Rua Rodésia, 76), a very cute place that also serves food and have a vintage store inside.

In the neighborhood Pinheiros I met my childhood friend Sarinha (about whom I previously wrote a post too - click here to see it). She took me to a place called Goa (Rua Cônego Eugênio Leite, 1152) a sophisticated vegetarian restaurant where not just the food is great but also the ambiance and service. The prix fixe menu of a starter, main dish, dessert and fresh juice changes daily. During weekdays at lunch time the full menu comes at R$28,90 and the executive menu at R$24.



Sarinha also took me for an afternoon coffee and cake at Deli Paris (Rua Harmonia, 484), a french style café that offers delicious sweet and savory options.

Bistrô O Chá (Rua Aspicuelta, 258) was also introduced to me by Sarinha. A tea house franchise from Lisbon, this place is cozy and the menu counts with dozens of tea options from all over the world. Plus the food is great too!



My meeting with my dearest Daphne was fast but delicious. She took me to Be Fresh (Prof. Carlos de Carvalho, 95, Itaim Bibi), a healthy food restaurant, with many vegetarian options. For those who like to combine light food and relaxed environment.


P.S: Just a reminder that everything writen in blue is a link that will take you to the website of the places (I couldn't find websites to all the restaurants listed in this post). Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ju que texto lindo! Não tinha melhor maneira pra descrever quão agradável foram os dias com você aqui em SÃO Paulo.

    ReplyDelete