Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A New Way to do Groceries

I’m one of those people who hates supermarkets. While I love selecting my own fruits and vegetables, I just can’t get into the supermarket ambiance, the a.c, the line at the cashier, all those plastic bags, it drives me nuts. But I love a good farmers market, I can walk around one for 5 hours and not get tired.

And I think a lot of people agree with me on supermarkets as many of my friends and aquaintaces are now doing the home delivery thing where you go online, choose what you want from a menu and they deliver it to your door. It is a lot more convenient, even though you can’t select your own potatoes but I can’t stop thinking where are all these products stored at? And I immediately think of a huge climatized warehouse, with a bunch of refrigerators and neon lights, very much like a supermarket.

In January, Curtis and I moved to a new place. Right on the first week as I was walking our dog I saw a poster of a group called Next Door Organics and I took interest on it. You basically sign up for the program and they deliver a bag of groceries with your name on it to a participating business near you. The size of the bag is based on the weekly amount you choose to pay.

For this you became a member of CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), which means you are buying a “share” of a local farmer’s produce. The best part is that all the produce is seasonal and organic. You can also ask them to include eggs, cheese and bread to your basket.

For us it has been a great experience. Every week we get our surprise grocery bag. As the products are seasonal we don’t get to choose what we want, the good think about this is that while we always tend to grab the same stuff while doing groceries, we never eat the same anymore now that CSA select our produce.

During the winter we got a lot of root vegetables, winter greens, dried fruits. They also aways send grains, herbs, mushrooms, and sometimes prepared foods from locals like pickles or chocolates.

An example of what our variety pack looks like
It is so good to know that none of my veggies pass by a supermarket before getting to me, instead they all come straight to our table. Couldn’t be better.

Check out the NextDoor Organics website www.nextdoororganics.com

P.S: A lot of people told me they were having trouble posting comments on the blog, so I changed the settings so a pop up window should come up when you click on comments. I hope that solves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment