Tuesday, April 2, 2013

My dog and the Miracle of Adoption

One of the most beloved things in my life is my dog. I always loved and owned dogs, but for 8 years of my life, work took me to several different cities, in several different countries, and I had to live without a dog for all that time. Finally one day, I met a really great guy and together we started a home, and guess what was the first thing I did? Adopted a dog of course.


Her name is Sasha, she is 4 years old pitbull mix. We got her from The Humane Society of New York.
When I told my family and friends that we were getting ready to adopt a 4 years old Pitbull, most of them shivered at the thought and immediately tried to discourage us to do so.
It didn’t work, and in September last year we brought home our little girl, ready to accept all her good and work through her bad.

In my experience there was not much bad at all. Maybe it was because I got right into it, with all my heart, ready to accept and work hard to be loved and to love, no matter what. And I promise you she responded to it right away. After the getting-to-know-each-other-better phase, I discovered a very loving dog, that acted like a boss but who is actually scared of silly things like noises, loneliness and even scared of other dogs.
I can’t even imagine what kind of life she must have had before she met us, but I tell you she got right into the loving thing and became a part of the family.


So, here is my advice to you, if you are planning on getting a dog to call your own, consider adoption. I know that there are hundreds of cute breeds out there that would look great with your outfit, but I also know that there are hundreds of dogs (and cats) in shelters who just need a chance. Don’t judge by their breed or appearance, judge by their heart. He or She will be grateful to you for the rest of their lives.

To find adoptable pets near you go to PetFinder.

1 comment:

  1. A Sasha é linda! O Adriano também adotou um cachorrinho para os meus sobrinhos e estão todos muito felizes! :) Bjs

    ReplyDelete